Wednesday, July 13, 2016

Selfish? I Should Say NOT!

It is not selfish to do what is best for your well being.  Not only is it not selfish, it is necessary for you to make it a priority to take care of yourself in order to find happiness and a balance, as well as to help take care of others.  You must always search and be successful in finding the healthy dose of "me time."  The word selfish can sound ugly, however, it can mean two different things.  What I'm talking about here is not to be unkind and inconsiderate of others. It is taking responsibility for meeting your own personal, emotional and physical needs.  It helps you to become a healthy, grounded person, who then is able to help others.  (Think of the flight attendant who gives the directions of putting on the oxygen mask for yourself first, before you help a child or someone else beside you get their own oxygen mask on.  There is a reason for that, and it is not a selfish one.)

Here are a few ideas of how to get out of the 'every day grueling grind' and work some precious "me time" into your daily schedule:  

Scientific studies have been around for a while stating the benefits of getting enough sleep.  It improves health and helps to detox the brain by recharging your batteries.  You must set specific times and stick to these times where there will be no work!  Just you, which should include time with your immediate family and/or friends.  

The "just me" time needs to be set aside that does just exclusively include you. It should be a time for meditation where you can visualize and become more aware of what you are grateful for throughout your day.  It helps you to put things into perspective. Focusing on breathing is very important during this time, as well as ending it on a positive note of clearing your thoughts while being mindful of your breathing.  

Some even find writing in their journal daily helps them to visualize and become more aware of their day and then to sit quietly and meditate with as few thoughts as possible, except for the sound of your breathing and perhaps repeating a positive mantra. This can be accomplished with some yoga added in for good vibes.  

Why is it so difficult for many of us to do this self-care routine for ourselves and if we do manage to make it happen then why do some of us feel guilty about doing it? We all must get over the guilt and seek ways to improve our health and well being.  Give yourself the gift of love!  As a matter of fact, I am going to make a call just as soon as this blog if published for a facial.  Along with detoxing my face, I am going to make myself the pledge to take better care of me.  That means, penciling in myself on my calendar of my "me time," whether it is a bubble bath, reading a good book or browsing through a magazine, exercise time or making myself go to bed earlier so that I am more alert the next day.    

Of course, it would not be my blog without quotes, and the one that comes to my mind is from E. E. Cummings when he said, "It takes courage to grow up and become who you really are."  Let's not allow others to define us.  Seeking outside validation does not work.  We need more than that to become better and healthier human beings.  Being in touch with your own feelings and what you need in order to have "me time" comes from your own internal validations.  

No comments:

Post a Comment