- Break the rules - I am not talking about going out to do something illegal...more like those unspoken rules that really do not matter, such as be bold and wear summer white after Labor Day (who made that rule up, anyway?)
- Get lots of rest - Napping has been proven to change your brain into ways where you become more creative. It has been researched that the human body is actually designed to have two sleep times a day, one at night which is longer and a shorter one after lunch. Daytime napping is common in many other countries around the world. In China, after lunch, many companies encourage employees to put their heads down at their desks for a power nap. This stirs the brain to more activity.
- Sing in the shower - This is a very creative way to express yourself musically, even if you can't carry a tune. No one is going to hear you except your significant other or child. Even if you don't know a popular song, it is okay to just sing out loud the ABC song or a nursery rhyme such as Twinkle Twinkle Little Star. Change the version and tunes now and then. What a wonderful way to start your day or end your day! Try it before you cast the idea aside.
- Get away from the computer and other technology - Instead of typing your notes into some gadget, try writing or sketching your ideas in a notebook that you carry with you at all times so that you can make lists or draw what is on your mind while waiting vs. checking face book postings or texting.
- Allow yourself to make mistakes and stop beating yourself up over what is already done - Making mistakes is only fatal if you do not learn from them. Berating yourself is not going to make it better. Pick yourself up and get back in the race with another go at it. Giving up is the direct route to failure.
- Collaborate - get feedback from others and surround yourself with creative people. Their feedback and collaboration will help you see other sides to problems and solutions. Keep an open mind.
- Have fun and take risks - such as going to a new place. This can be as local as a new restaurant with a different cuisine from what you are used to having or an actual trip to a new destination. It has also been proven that people with multicultural experiences are more creative.
Being creative is a personal thing. Being creative means solving a problem in a new way and the way you get there is by taking risks and ignoring doubts and facing fears. It is doing something different for the sake of doing something different because the old way is just not working. We can choose to do the same thing the same way and get the same results or we can shake things up a bit and have more fun. Which would you prefer?