Friday, April 21, 2017

Get Lucky?

There are those of us that look out at others who have had wonderful things happen to them in their lives. I have had this thought on my mind for a while now and finally, after coming to my own conclusions, I must say that for me, I do not believe it is luck. In fact, I do not believe in luck period! There is a reason that someone was in the right place at the right time for something good to happen. Who knows? Maybe the stars above were in alignment for their numbers to come up for the PowerBall jackpot.

When it comes down to being successful in what you want out of life, it is also a belief of mine that successful people are not smarter than the average person. One does not need a genius IQ to become successful. What they do need to be able to get from A to Z is the trick of how to get there. How do they do that? They set and achieve their own specific goals.

I have always said that there is a method to the madness of getting to where you want to be in life. It is important for parents to teach their children how to accomplish this early in life. It then becomes second nature to them, without struggling through the twists and turns of life. They are able to walk toward their goal with a plan in place.

First of all, I set a big goal. It is important though, to remember that wishes are NOT goals. Goals that do not have a plan are just dreams, not that dreams are a bad thing. Just keep in mind that if you just go with the flow and set your sights on nothing in particular, then that is what you will get; nothing in particular. Set yourself a lofty goal that may even be 3 - 5 years out but step by step you can get there. How?

I have learned there must be a clear path on how to get there. Breaking up that large goal to smaller ones will be my stepping stones to my large goal of being a published author. It is a wispy dream to say I will be going on circuits around the country for book signings and interviews from all the books that I write. Bringing it down to a specific goal such as I will write the novel that has been in my head and get it published within 3 years is the smart way to accomplish what I want now in life.

My short term goals are critical steps that will help to get me there. I will be able to experience little successes along the way. Breaking it down to some blog writing on the side in order to help me find my writing voice, reading other materials to keep me fresh and up to date, as well as networking with other writers are all little goals that I have. I keep the SMART goal framework in mind when setting it all up for myself. They are specific, measurable, achievable, reasonable and timely goals.

It used to bother me when others would ask if I have finished my novel, some asked even after a month of my retirement. Now they are not asking as often and I am able to continually work on it at my pace with my short term goals. Plus, I feel even more confident that my long term goal will be met. It will not be luck. It will be hard work and so well worth it. It is what I have always wanted to do. 

It is my dream that will be converted into my reality.



No comments:

Post a Comment