Monday, June 12, 2017

Happiness Is An Inside Job

William Arthur Ward, one of America's most quoted writers of inspirational maxims, stated that, "Happiness is an inside job." This is one of my favorite all time quotes. (I know that I am a quote nerd and there are probably at least a hundred or more on my all time favorite quotes list!) This is another way of saying that happiness is not out there-it's in YOU!



For me, it is a choice to be happy. Everyone has that choice. Even when things happen (and they will) that attempt to bring you down, you must decide if you are going to let it ruin your day and make you spiteful or if you are going to let it go and move forward. Having a partner, such as I do, helps me get over hurdles that could, if I allowed them, bring me down. He will ask me if I want that to bring down and ruin my/our whole day or if I would rather let it go and move forward? I never want something to have that kind of power over me so my choice is to always let it go. For the most part, over the years, I have learned to ask myself this before he needs to even get involved.

After thinking over about people that I know and people that I observe, there are other certain things that I see happy people do or hear them say.

  • Happy people do not feel that they are entitled to anything special. They are grateful for what they have and are willing to share it. They make a mental list or as I do, journal what you are grateful for. It would surprise you if you take the time to stop and think about what you do have instead of what you don't have. If you want something bad enough, then you have to make it happen because you are in charge of your life. If something else comes along, and sometimes it does, then that is what I like to call, 'The Bonus.'


  • I know that I have learned to just enjoy the ride, whichever way it goes. Just be sure to slow it down so that you can enjoy life with those you love. Happiness is most definitely not a destination. Each moment can be and should be filled with the joys of life.
  • Want a take a shortcut? Remember, happiness is not a destination. There are no shortcuts - it is hard work to go out and take control of your life by doing things that make you happy or will get you to your goal. Getting to your goal should be little happy steps toward the big picture.
  • Having a good attitude is part of making the choice to be happy. Being positive always helps anyone feel happier. It is something that each one of us is in control of. Know that you matter and those around you matter. If you speak positive and uplifting words to others, it not only helps you, but the ones around you also. 
  • Most of all what I notice about happy people is that they smile. I actually read a scientific fact that smiling stimulates the brain. Not that I needed a scientific research team to tell me this, I now at least understand more about why this phenomenon happens. Apparently, it is like a two way street: our brain feels good and tells us to smile, we smile and tell our brain it feels good, and so on and so on....
The bottom line is SMILE! I have found that it is contagious.


No comments:

Post a Comment