Friday, June 23, 2017

Rainy Days and Summer

All of the "Keep Calm" sayings which originated in the UK from "Keep Calm and Carry On" are usually quite humorous. The one above makes absolute sense if you live in the UK. They do have more than their share of rainy days. That is why the countryside is so beautiful with greenery and flowers.

Although here in the South where I live, we get plenty of wet weather, we have much more of a sunny Summer than some other parts of the States or other countries.  That is why I am writing this blog about Rainy Days and Summer to offer my perspective of taking the rain and making it a positive thing.

The song Rainy Days and Mondays from the Carpenters can cross your mind and play with it if you allow it to. Think back to some of the lyrics such as:
"Talkin' to myself and feelin' old
Sometimes I'd like to quit 
Nothin' ever seems to fit
Hangin' around
Nothin' to do but frown
Rainy days and Mondays always get me down."

Now I don't know about you, but that is a song for a somewhat depressed soul. It is beautifully sung as only Karen Carpenter could sing in her soulful voice but it makes the positive and optimistic soul from within me want to shake, rattle and roll. Take another view; one that is much more positive.


In our part of the country we just had Tropical Storm Cindy come through and close down the Gulf Coast, where many go for vacations. Although we were not there, we have been to the Gulf and had to deal with rainy, stormy days. Whether you are dealing with it for a vacation or just being home, there are some fun ways around it all. Staying dry on a balcony overlooking the ocean, watching and listening to the waves crashing in is one of the most relaxing scenes to me. Make yourself a Mimosa or a Bloody Mary or even a simple cup of tea, have a book or just sit back watching, listening and dozing...so very relaxing!


Rainy days in the summertime will make our gardens even more beautiful than paying for the water to keep them growing. Rain water is so much better for them that you can almost watch them grow as the rain comes down.


 If there is no danger of lightning, it is a perfect opportunity to go out and play in the puddles with your children. Even a time to make mud pies. Let your inner child come out with them.


It also is the perfect opportunity to use to take care of organizing or tidying up around the house. Those little pesky chores that are so easy to put off on beautiful days. Use the rain as an excuse to put on some of your favorite music (hopefully upbeat) and get a job or two completed.

Afternoon matinees  -  ahhhhh  -  I find it hard to go into a movie theater for a matinee when it is a gorgeous day outside, however, on a rainy day? Perfect! The same with a museum visit. I find that I am in no way rushing through when it is raining outside. It even is a great time to go in the museum's little cafes and have a cup of tea. 

I did save one of my favorite things to do on a rainy Summer day.

Just grab a good book and curl up in comfy clothes with a soft throw, a cup of tea and let the book take you away to another world. For me it is the perfect opportunity to catch up on my stack of books that I have been waiting to read.

With all of this being said, my point is that Rainy Days and Summer go hand in hand if used wisely.
So Happy Rainy Day to all of you! Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment