Monday, September 18, 2017

Quitting Is Not an Option

In my book, quitting is never an option! Is it an option that runs through my mind now and then? Of course, yes, I am a human being. We all have our limits. After I vent some, to myself or to significant others, I am ready to step it up a notch and move onward and upward. Not quit! It may mean a change of plans, however not just change to be changing and quitting totally - it is a change for the better.

This theory on quitting fits almost every category in my life. Sometimes, it is a fear deep inside me that is urging me to just quit and go inside my comfort zone more. This is one of the hardest for me, yet so far, I have managed and in some cases never let it slow me down. Some perfect examples are moving to different parts of the country, taking jobs that may not be what I was expecting to be doing in life and most definitely not my own choice. Perfect opportunity to say, "I quit!" Instead, I persevered. Tried it out for a fit and to my surprise, most of the time it did work out. For those times that it did not, I had to find ways to move around and through a few hoops so that it was not a way of quitting. Michael Jordan's quote rang loudly in my head, "If you quit once it becomes a habit. Never quit!" My motto is to just fight the fear. 

It is sort of like a double edged sword. You know that you are more than likely about to succeed when the pressure is building. When there is no pressure steamer going off, there is usually not enough energy to succeed. It is the perfect time to breathe in and breathe out - keeping calm and letting it go. Somehow, it all works out once you put things in perspective and stop feeling sorry for yourself. I know that taking risks is a way for me to grow as an individual. I also know that I can't fake it...it is something that I must grow in to. I must allow myself the time to confirm how I am feeling and then validate through reasoning where one road will take me vs. the other road. 

Thinking that the world owes me something is a way of copping out, just as expecting immediate rewards. One major concept that I had to come to grips with is that there is no way to make everyone happy. Doing what I needed to do, in order to meet my successes and not worry about what I was not in control of, only what I could control was what I had to keep uppermost in my thoughts. Being nice to me and keeping me happy is important. Using up my energy dwelling on the past or trying to change others is a waste of my time. As Conrad Hilton believes, so do I: "Success is connected with action. Successful people keep moving. They make mistakes but they don't quit."



Adding some of my thoughts on aging to this blog; never, ever quit trying to age gracefully. We all go through the aging process. No one promised us a rose garden. In fact, just look at some of the mistakes that plastic surgeons have made on some of the more famous people in the spotlight. 'Tis much better to age gracefully and not give up on what life throws your way, because even a 5 star General such as Douglas MacArthur believes that age wrinkles the body, quitting wrinkles the soul. 
(By the way aging gracefully does not necessarily mean telling your real age!) 

One last detail that I feel that I must mention is that I believe whole-heartedly in celebrations, however small. Giving myself little rewards along the way is a definite motivator. A Starbucks coffee or a MacAlister's extra large unsweet iced tea with extra lemon will spur me on to greater things and help me know that I am not to ever be a quitter. 





No comments:

Post a Comment