Sunday, May 3, 2020

Manage Emotional Energy Levels

MANAGING OUR EMOTIONAL ENERGY LEVELS





Emotions are energies. I have learned that there are ways to manage these energies to my benefit. In my case it is a matter that I must do in order for me to stay motivated, especially in this global pandemic. I did a bit of research and found out that for all we do in our everyday lives is based on about 70% emotional energy while only 30% is physical. 



With that being said, I think that it is important for me to work hard on starting each and every day with as much emotional energy as I can. It already is basically lower than it was before the quarantine, so I find that I must have some kind of routine in place to keep my emotional energies fueled. 

It does not have to be set in stone, just have blocks of times set out to accomplish certain things that I wish to complete for the day. What really can drain me is if I have focused attention on the symptoms of my distress. In other words, I can't do this, or I can't do that...instead of being focused on what I can do. It is called self-acceptance. There are times that I must give myself pep talks to stop beating myself up mentally about why I did not get certain items completed for the day. I need to be clear in what I can do as one human being. The world will not come to an end if I did not get laundry finished or have a moment to read some of a novel. There is always tomorrow.

Being a list maker, I know to prioritize what I want to do and put the most important at the top. Most of all, I have learned that if I attempt to multi-task, I find that I am draining my emotional energy. Taking a deep breath and moving through my list one step at a time works much better. Sharing with friends and my precious husband briefly of how I am feeling is a good thing. It is my version self-acceptance. Then? The time is to move on instead of droning on and on about poor pitiful me. We are all in this together and supporting one another is very important. 

Doing mundane chores like cooking, laundry, showering can turn in to a really positive outlet. As each chore is completed take that deep breath and move on. When I get close to the bottom of my list and I see that there will be no way that it will all get done, I heard a great phrase to tell myself instead of judging myself. I simply say, " I did not get the clothes put away and get 500 words written in my book 'IN A WORLDWIDE PANDEMIC.'" There! That can put things in perspective. It is not a normal world right now. 

The important thing for me is to think about what drains my emotional energies and what fuels them.
Really, I could only come up with a short list of what drains them. The good news is that my list on what fuels my energies is twice as long. My job is to remember them:



DRAINING

bad talking myself
didn't get multi-lists completed
thinking about politics/news
not getting enough sleep
not hydrating my body
not eating right and exercising


FUELING

focusing on what I can control 
being open with myself and my family
daily gratitude focus on what is good
doing kind things for others - showing compassion
self care
meditating and breathing
tai chi
painting
writing
reading


What is important for me is that most of the time my days don't always start the same way. This means to be flexible and go with how the morning flows. Having some structure is good, however if all does not go along with my Plan A, then move on. There are 26 letters in the English alphabet. 

For me the quote that I leave you with really says it all.








No comments:

Post a Comment