Sunday, June 7, 2020

Music is the Language of the Soul

MUSIC IS THE LANGUAGE OF THE SOUL

The true language of the human soul is music. Many beautiful phrases have been created to describe what music really is all about. Words do not seem to capture the way that it touches us. Basically, what we do know is that this world would be a sad place without it.

What music means to each individual is so varied that it would be too overwhelming to even begin to describe it. I can only speak for myself and even then I can't exactly explain what music or certain songs mean to me. I only know that when I hear certain songs specific emotions come to my very being. Sometimes, even being moved to the point of tears or being transported back to a particular time in my life. They could be tears of joy and happiness or sad tears. It was the music that took me there.




Music is most definitely one of the universal languages that can be understood and enjoyed by all regardless of culture, society or other kinds of differences. Music belongs to everyone. What a great way to soothe a restless child. I know that it worked in my office as an assistant principal. I had playlists ready to play depending on what the age of the child was and how out of control he/she may have been. Think about how a mother communicates her love for her baby through lullabyes. That baby does not understand a word that is being said, but the feeling of being loved speaks volumes. 




Music was used in Steven Spielberg's 1977 movie of "Close Encounters of the Third Kind" as a form of communication between the human race and beings from another planet through musical notes. Studies have shown that plants and animals react to music also. Music therapy is used with young children all the way through older adults suffering with Alzheimer's. In fact, it dates back to the ages of Greek philosophers. It was used to calm people, especially those suffering from mental disorders. Confucius and Plato recognized how music could help keep a person healthy in mind and body. During WWII, music was accepted as a valuable tool in aiding wounded soldiers recovering from their injuries. By speaking to the soul, it counteracts negative vibes from tension and promotes relaxation from within the body.

The magic of music remains a secret. We may never understand the exact science of it...what we do understand is that it brings pleasure to all of our souls. I can remember having an outpatient surgery. I did not have to be totally under anesthesia. I used my own technique of breathing to relax, when all of a sudden, my surgeon started singing opera while he was operating on me. My eyes flew open in surprise. One of the nurses asked me if that bothered me, she would ask him to stop. Surprisingly, it did not bother me. I could feel it not only relaxing me but more than likely him too. And that is not a bad thing in my book.

Doing some research, I found some music quotes on how it heals our soul. I hope that you enjoy reading them as much as I did in finding them.

  • "Life seems to go on without effort when I am filled with music."  ~ George Eliot
  • A great song should lift your heart, warm the soul and make you feel good."  ~ Colbie Caillat
  • "Where words fail, music speaks." ~ Hans Christian Anderson
  • "Music is to the soul what words are to the mind." ~ Modest Mouse
  • "Music gives a soul to the universe, wings to the mind, flight to the imagination and life to everything."  ~ Plato
  • "One good thing about music, when it hits you, you feel no pain."  ~ Bob Marley
  • "Music is powerful. As people listen to it, they can be affected. They respond."  ~  Ray Charles
  • "Music is a language that doesn't speak in particular words. It speaks in emotions, and if it's in the bones, it's in the bones."  ~ Keith Richards
  • "I see my life in terms of music." ~ Albert Einstein
  • "Music changes, and I'm gonna change right along with it."  ~ Aretha Franklin


Next time when you are feeling down and out, put on some music to lift your spirits. Music has that power to reset our thinking.  It is an essential part of human existence. Music can make you feel happy or sad, in love or angry. Hopefully some of these quotes fueled your soul and reminded you of just how strong of an impact music has on all of us.


3 comments:

  1. Music as definitely been lifeline for me through all seasons of life especially now staying at home as I am a people person and when it is quiet,I miss the noise except in the a.m. waking up with coffee and my devotional.So,the headphones on and cds are out of the drawer,the old stereo turned on,and am enjoying this form of passing the time while working on my to do list.It does as our say fuel my soyl,keeps my spirits lifted,and is calming when I need it.Those who know me,I can't carry a tune but so live to hear the gifted vocals of others.Yes,music is the universal language...adding and love is he key to peace,hope,and understanding,and living in harmony....Let's sing...Linda Sturdivant

    ReplyDelete
  2. Music as definitely been lifeline for me through all seasons of life especially now staying at home as I am a people person and when it is quiet,I miss the noise except in the a.m. waking up with coffee and my devotional.So,the headphones on and cds are out of the drawer,the old stereo turned on,and am enjoying this form of passing the time while working on my to do list.It does as our say fuel my soyl,keeps my spirits lifted,and is calming when I need it.Those who know me,I can't carry a tune but so live to hear the gifted vocals of others.Yes,music is the universal language...adding and love is he key to peace,hope,and understanding,and living in harmony....Let's sing...Linda Sturdivant

    ReplyDelete
  3. Music as definitely been lifeline for me through all seasons of life especially now staying at home as I am a people person and when it is quiet,I miss the noise except in the a.m. waking up with coffee and my devotional.So,the headphones on and cds are out of the drawer,the old stereo turned on,and am enjoying this form of passing the time while working on my to do list.It does as our say fuel my soyl,keeps my spirits lifted,and is calming when I need it.Those who know me,I can't carry a tune but so live to hear the gifted vocals of others.Yes,music is the universal language...adding and love is he key to peace,hope,and understanding,and living in harmony....Let's sing...Linda Sturdivant

    ReplyDelete