Sunday, August 16, 2020

Joy To The World

 


Truly, I did not start out to trick you into thinking that I was ready for Christmas, although that is not a bad idea. Considering how 2020 has been going so far it could be a great distraction.  Lately, I have been having some tough moments dealing with the issues of COVID-19, the election, the riots, the rallies, the racism, basically, all of it. I guess, it all just seemed to be overwhelming and hitting me from all angles at once.

Usually, I handle these kind of issues fairly well. Lately, not so much, so I decided to go back to the basics of what I read from Life Coaches and watch on webinars. I realized that I had lost my sense of focus. I knew that I needed help to guide my way through this messy chaos.

First of all I know this is mentally, emotionally, spiritually, and physically draining and I was feeling as if this is what was happening to me. Time to jump on this fast to find my joy. And to any naysayer out there, yes, there is joy. Yes, there is good news. Yes,  there are positive events happening all around me. I just was not responding to these things, instead I was choosing to deal with the negatives.

 
For myself, I already knew that I had given enough time and energy to focus on the problems of the world. Now, I needed to focus on ME. That is not selfish to do so. I know our thoughts move to actual action. The challenges that I face will move me forward because I grow by my responses. I have the power to make my own decisions. So stopping for a moment and simply asking myself if moping around and feeling as if the world is going to hell in a hand basket, I had to shift my attitude and create something new instead of staying down. A different kind of energy must be used to do this. 

It is appreciating what I have and knowing that staying in the fog of uncertainty was not doing me any good. I believe that I just finally had had ENOUGH of reading social media, editorials, and listening to the  "hatred" in the words that had woven their way into my brain. So I made the choice to limit news time and social media time so that I do not have to be drawn into the gloom and doom. Why? Because it is not all gloom and doom. Together we all will survive. 

This is not how I want to respond. There are so many good things that bring me joy. Setting up a positive ritual for my mornings. Thinking about what it is that I want to accomplish and go for it. A dream without an action behind it means nothing. When I feel joy, I feel good about myself. Joy is an emotion and emotions are wordless. 

Music brings me such joy, and all kinds of genres. Three Dog Night was a fun band growing up with in the 70's. A few years ago, I was lucky enough to see them perform live. One of my favorites is Joy To the World. It is a happy, feel-good song. I did find out that it was written by Hoyt Axton and the band never knew that such a happy, silly song would hit number one on the charts around the world. If something brings you joy then you automatically smile. Obviously, I am not the only one who feels joyful when I hear it. It was in the movie, "The Big Chill," then recorded by Mariah Carey, as well as others and is played at the end of every Denver Broncos home victory which means when they played in Super Bowls and won it was played again
. It also was referenced in several other movies and magazines. I know that when that song comes on I will be singing the words right along with them. I don't trust anyone who can't belt out 'Bohemian Rhapsody' or 'Jeremiah Was a Bullfrog' when they come on the radio.

Finding joy is not only about music it can be about finding projects that bring you joy, maybe organizing, learning a new skill or reviving an old one that you never seem to have time for. Now in the pandemic there is time!



Engaging in inspirational and enjoyable activities that are not necessarily goal oriented but just plain fun is a great way to find joy. It is a way to help me relax. Petting our dogs is a wonderfully relaxing way to let go of the stress in the world. Cooking has also become one of my go to's, as well as painting. I have decided to paint a shirt, like the one that I saw on a Nataly Kogan webinar on Happiness. She stood up and showed everyone after being asked about it. It made me smile. She is the person who actually got me back into painting. Never have I attempted a shirt. With a smile on my face, I plan on challenging myself to accomplish this with no judgment on my style.



Saying the word, "Joy" can even bring me joy and the more I say it in different voices and tempos, the more I laugh and I can feel relaxation taking over. There is one job that we all have and that is to take care of ourselves. If we don't take care of ourselves, then we are of no good to those we love.



No comments:

Post a Comment