Sunday, March 28, 2021

THINGS OUR MOTHERS ALWAYS TOLD US

 


When I was growing up my Mother had loads of "sayings" that she used. I am sure to try to teach me right from wrong. Even though as I reached a certain level of maturity, I was saying to myself that I would never use these trite sayings with my own children. It seems that I was terribly wrong. Some of these sayings just popped out of my mouth. I am sure many of these have been used for generation after generation. I started with one of her favorites, "I wasn't born yesterday." This was used in many conversations, such as when I was trying to not tell the full truth about an incident so as not to get in as much trouble. Why I did it is beyond me. It just got me in more trouble. The truth will always come out when you have a Mom who gives you 'that look.'

Some of the sayings that I listed below I believe you will be able to relate to easily. 

Just you wait and see.

~  No such thing as a free lunch.

~  If it seems too good to be true, it is.

~  Keep making those faces and your face will freeze      like that.

~  Put that bottom lip out any further and a little red        caboose is going to come along and take a ride.

~  If someone told you to jump off a cliff, would you?


Because I said so!

I know what you are doing. I have eyes in the            back of my head. (Apparently, so did my teachers)

Just you wait and see. I can give you something to      really cry about. 

Close the door. Were you born in a barn?

~  If I told you once, I have told you a thousand              times and the answer is still NO.

~  Back in my day we had to walk 10 miles to school        in all kinds of weather.

~  Don't make me have to turn this car around.


~  Oh my goodness. If I let a word come out of my          mouth that was not ladylike I was told that she            would wash my mouth out with soap. (I did put          some Ivory soap in my own daughter's oatmeal          one day.)

~  Money doesn't grow on trees, you know!


~  You are not made of sugar and you will not melt in      the heat or rain.

~  Talking to you is like talking to a brick wall.


~  Don't get in the shower now. There is a                      thunderstorm outside and you will be hit by                lightning. (Turns out this is a possibility because          the electricity from the lightning hitting metal pipes      within the house. Another one that was true was to      not be on the phone during a storm. This only              applies to land line phones, not cell.)

~  Eat your carrots so that you will be able to see            better at night. (carrots as well as many other           vegetables are good for our eyes)


~  Don't sit that close to the TV. It will ruin your eyes.
     (This has been proven not to be true. It will cause
      your eyes to feel strained, just no long lasting              effect.)

I'm not asking. I'm telling.




And so...did you recognize any of the above sayings. We all know that our parents were just trying to do the right thing. I have often said there should be a parenting manual. But then again? Do we all want to turn out the same way? Our parents are just repeating the same stories they heard growing up and trying to raise awesome human beings to carry on with the world. 

Bearing in mind that words have power...choose carefully.






No comments:

Post a Comment