Sunday, August 1, 2021

The Differences That Millennials Have

 THE DIFFERENCES THAT MILLENNIALS HAVE


First of all let's be clear of exactly who I am talking about when I say 'millennials.' Specifically, the research calls anyone born in 1981 -1996 a millennial. As we all know, depending on the individual, it can easily move down a few years to the Generation X group which takes into account some born in the late 70's. Rarely, does it move up the Generation Z age group where the oldest age is 22. The experience is not usually in the Z equation.


 Having children in the millennial group as well as working with them side by side in the work force, I have noticed some interesting habits. Trust me, I am sure that they could write a blog on the interesting habits of the Baby Boomers just as well. All I can say is just bring it on. We all have our quirks. No one is shaming or blaming. It is just the way we are. Some of the characteristics I have even picked up on and I am not in the millennial group.

Let's start with clothing and the way we dress. These are basically all no-no's for millennials:

Hawaiian type shirts (so Jimmy Buffet)

Does not matter if it is tucked in or not? (What is with the fanny pack?)




Now I am on to explaining what is not cool to most millennials. Crocs (regardless of gender), New Balance sneakers, shoes with velcro (unless you are too young to tie your shoes or too old to bend down and reach them).

Below you will find looks that just don't make the grade for most millennials which would be the tourist look, the high waisted jeans/pants, and jorts. If you are going to wear jeans then wear jeans. Back in my day of the dirt ages, we actually tore our jeans to make shorts out of them. (Let the truth about me known)! And fabrics are now no iron, so irons and ironing boards are so outdated.






This age group tends to be real "foodies." They truly enjoy new and unusual foods and experiencing new cultures.


Buffets are simply not a good thing for anyone. Especially now with the pandemic still going on. Restaurants are opening up some, however, I know that I must agree with the fact that it is not safe. Really, it never was before the pandemic. I have seen children (and once an adult) reach in with their hands to get something. The other item in the picture is a seasoning, and I am using the term lightly, Mrs. Dash. If you notice they come in a few different flavors. If you are going to take the time to make a delicious meal then go for the real thing. 

Next is one of my all time pet peeves. Be in line at the grocery store and the person in front of you pulls out a check book. Even I do not do that. However, yes, I do still receive paper snail mail bills and do write checks and use the Post Office. More and more I am heading in the other direction. It is just an efficient way to be sure you are paying your bills on time. The mail service, with the pandemic, has been rather shaky. I missed a few bills here and there. Luckily, once I realized it and called the company, I was not charged a late fee. Apparently, they are well aware of this problem. 



Sort of in this same category e-mails vs. text messaging. E-mails are meant for work. And we all know how many of those we usually get. So sending a text message is so much easier. Unless you are retired and this is the only e mails that you receive? 





While we are on the subject of the mail, is there anyone else who receives piles and piles of junk mail catalogs? Don't get me wrong. Some are very reputable companies. Honestly, there have been days that I receive 4 -6 catalogs. Truly, if I want something I can look it up on line. In fact, I walk from the mailbox through the garage and dump all of the catalogs in the trash bin. Never look at them. This is so not environmentally correct. Our county does not pick up recycle. That fact amazes me because when I lived in other places more than 25 years ago, we had recycle containers to put out with the trash. What is wrong with this picture? We all should have recycle bins and service.


There are so many more traits that I could list and I will try to not list too many more. The minimalist approach can not be overlooked. This is how they decorate. There is no need for knick knacks, words of art on the walls, carpeted bathrooms and of all things a fuzzy toilet seat, potpourri, real china and files for papers. 


 








Last, I would like to mention the fact the news stations on our televisions have not kept up. Or maybe they are serving the baby boomers and those older by having 24 hour news stations. Really? On my IPhone I can get instant news at any time that I wish. Is there really a need for this much news. Frankly, it can be depressing and there is only so much I can personally take. Get the facts, resource it and move on. I am not a millennial but this is my motto.



No comments:

Post a Comment