Sunday, September 5, 2021

TIME TO LET IT GO

 TIME TO LET IT GO



It has been years since the Disney movie came out and stole the hearts of children and adults alike. The saying of, "Let it go," was and still is being used as words of advice. There is a good reason for that. It is the healthy choice. If one can't let it go then this negative energy is fogging up our vision and holding us back to move forward. Truly, it is a way of freeing yourself in more ways than imagined.

Holding grudges against someone or something that has in our minds done us wrong or even replaying the event. Imagine what that is doing to our thought processes. Using this negative energy by rewinding a resentment keeps us stuck in that place. Once I have acknowledged my problem which could be a grudge or an event in my life that was not fair to me in my eyes...then it is time to ask myself is feeling this resentment going to change things? Will it turn things around? The answer is always a very loud, "NO!" Then that is the time for me to press STOP and reject that human urge to keep replaying. It is like getting caught up in a loop. That is when I know it is time to get off of that roller coaster. It will not magically turn things around. People are all different. We don't know what is going on in other's lives. So while I may still be holding on to this grudge, the other person has long since moved on.

It is like letting go of a bad habit that is not good for us. Is it easy? No! The question is do I want to be right or do I want peace. It does not serve me well. I can't have both. 

I know that I have the ability to get out of the loop and to let it go while being calm. Another method that I have used to help me is to ask friends or family members if they have a time in their life that they could share with me. Who knows? It may give me the inspiration that will help give me that little push. Surrounding myself with positive people is another good way to let it go.


For myself, trying to talk it out with the person that I am having a conflict with is not a good choice for me. Everyone is different. It tends to drag the situation on even longer and make the conflict even deeper. Really, it is better to agree to disagree and to move on. 

Finding ways to surprise others as well as myself can move me forward in a much faster way. Telling jokes, pointing out the absurd and silliness in life...it is like fighting despair with joy and fun. When I hear a comment that makes me want to lash out at someone, I work hard at holding back. Deep breathing or going for a short walk gives me the time to evaluate whether I even need to respond. Usually, the answer is no.



In fact, there are times that closing that door leads to a surprise at the opening of another door. Try it! Taking the higher road can surprise you.


Practicing kind acts almost always bring surprises my way. Little things such as texting a friend or calling to see how they are doing. Maybe an elderly neighbor could use help picking up some groceries or getting the trash bin out to the curb. There are other ways such as supporting a local book store and sending a book to someone just to make them smile. Being kind does not have to cost a fortune. Baking some cookies and sharing with a neighbor or picking flowers to make a bouquet will work. I find that making room in my heart for something that is uplifting can turn my world around. 

It is a matter of lightening my load and letting it go by being kind to every kind, including myself!


No comments:

Post a Comment