Sunday, February 20, 2022

FRIENDSHIPS

 FRIENDSHIPS

"Friendship is the icing on the cake of life."

Mary Engelbreit



The word friendship is really tossed around an awful lot but how many people actually take the time to think about why friendships are so important in our lives? When I hear the word friendships I think of it in many different ways. Friends can be older, younger, a different gender, a co-worker, a neighbor, a spouse even. Once children become a certain age, they can become friends. It simply means they are someone you can relate to, rely on, use each other as a sounding board - throwing out all judgmental calls. Friends have each others' backs.

Most definitely, they are someone that I know I can depend on. I know that I never want to take friends for granted. A simple thank you always is a kind gesture that let's a person know that you appreciate what they do for you. 



Are there different degrees of friendship? Yes, in my mind there are. It is just that in some way, they have become important in my life. For example:

  • Friends can help improve my social skills and help me become more confident - I call and talk about good news, bad news or no news at all, just a check in! They provide me with working on good listening and cooperation skills.
  • Friends can act as natural stress relievers by providing mental and emotional help.
  • Friends provide security and keep us in check.
  • Friends often keep us active, both mentally and physically.
Life is always full of ups and downs. Good friends become our cheerleaders, just as we cheer for them.
To me it is simple. There is no magic formula for making friendships work. It just happens, sort of like a secret vow. You just can't beat the support and encouragement of a friend.

The normal meet up for lunches or dinner dates were hard to cope with when we could get together due to Covid. Restaurants were closing down. We sort of learned new techniques in order to communicate and share our lives. Zoom meetings, FaceTime, lots of texting and calling had to take the place of going out together and giving hugs. 

Some creative restaurants made outside patios when they could open up. The protocol changed to no masks need to be worn if outside. Of course, the vaccines and boosters helped even more. It is still a tricky variant going around and we can't let our guards down too quickly. 


Beautiful friends make life so much sweeter. I know that I could not have made it this far in life without each and every one of my friendships. My relationship with each one of them is unique, however my commitment to them is not! You can't beat the support and encouragement of a friend.

As the singer/songwriter, Harry Nielsen said, "You've got a friend in me."

No comments:

Post a Comment