Saturday, July 16, 2022

MAGIC PILL

 MAGIC PILL


What if I told you that there is a magic pill that you can take that will help in losing weight? Well, I would not be telling the truth. There is no magic pill. There is no magic to losing weight at all. Once, when Oprah was a daily tv show, I remember her weight going up and down like a roller coaster. She stated that if there were some magic pill out there to help lose weight she could afford to buy this to help her. This was not in bragging, it was just the truth. One of the wealthiest people in the world and there was nothing that she can do to shed her weight that we are not able to do ourselves. 

How many of us have gone on those "fad" diets and the weight melted off only to come right back on and then some. That is what happened to her and to me and to countless others?  The problem is that once the weight is lost we move into the real world. No guidance to eating a healthy lifestyle once you are off the program, even though many of them claim to have a maintenance program. Not to mention some of the dangers of the chemicals that you are putting into your body. 

I will not name the national diet company that I tried and wow did I lose weight. About half-way through the program I started to have these crazy wild zaps of pain in my head. It lasted about 2 - 3 seconds and was over. I finally went to the doctor and he discovered that what I was taking was affecting nerve endings and that is where the nerve endings were reacting. As soon as I stopped the program the zaps of pain stopped. Thank goodness there were no other side effects.

Let me start by saying there are painless ways to lose weight in a healthy way. At some point, and no one but you can make that decision, you know something has to be done. I was uncomfortable. Each person must do it for no one else but for themselves. Why? Because they want to become more healthy in their lifestyles. It is time to stop avoiding all high calorie treats and working out like a maniac. Really it does not take some super hero to make these changes. Go ahead and share a cupcake or ice cream with someone you love.

First, I started with adding, not subtracting foods from my meals and snacks. Deep red cherries, juicy grapes or crunchy snow peas...a handful of almonds are all things that I would keep with me for snacks instead of reaching for chips and things that just are not good for me. I use FitBit to journal my food and keep track of my calories, as well as my carbohydrates, fat, protein and sugar. I worked first on lowering my carb intake but even there one must be careful because calories do count. I became a label reader. Does this mean that I did without? Sometimes. A great way that I used was to watch and sometimes weigh my portions. Also, to share a meal or get an appetizer for my meal. 



All easy ways to help cut back and still lose weight. So it may not be as fast as some of the fad diets but it will change my mindset of what I am choosing to eat for the rest of my life. Also, just a small amount of exercise is better than nothing at all. A walk around the house, a 10 minute ride on a bike, dance moves while cooking - just to get up and move. Right now I am doing physical therapy exercises to help with arthritis in my knees. That is not going away but I can make my knees stronger and get in exercise at the same time. This has really helped. A 5 minute walk around the house is still a 5 minute walk. Every little bit helps. 

Unless you just love doing these crunches, go for the movement of walking, leg lifts, riding a bike, etc.

Just a little side note, Oprah did join and is promoting Weight Watchers, which is most definitely a healthy program because members get to choose what they want to eat based on points. For me, I choose based on the nutrition/calories. Either way, is a much more healthy way to lose weight.



Hydration really does help. To make it more friendly to the environment, I managed to get me some great water bottles in all colors. It helps me keep track of how much I drink, too. I save the purchased plastic bottles when I am going out and can slip the bottle in my handbag. 

I learned that I had to hook up to what works for me. It was and still is trial and error. I try different things. I must admit that I am addicted to the scales. I try not to be but at least I have become friends with my scales. 




Who can gain 6 pounds in one day? That would be me. And yes, I know it is not going to be there the next day or even the next. Something goofy in my body? I am not a doctor and don't know if I possibly had more sodium one day vs another? I just stopped being frustrated over it. What matters? 


Clothes keep getting too big and I must go down in size. Oh, how good that feels, not to mention when others notice and say something. Still...I am not doing it for them. I am doing it for myself. I feel better, I have more energy and stamina and just a healthier outlook on life. 

Last words from this blogger...Find what works for you and just do it. Everyone has their own unique needs, likes and dislikes. It is all in the mindset.








No comments:

Post a Comment