Monday, April 10, 2017

Happify


Somehow, I know that I am not the only person who has favorite words. There are plenty of other nerds like me, if that is what you want to call this syndrome. Actually, I have one that stands out way above all of the rest. It is serendipity. I like the way it sounds, I like what it makes me feel, I like the way it rolls off my tongue. It makes me happy.

When I came across an app on my IPhone that was called "Happify" it made me smile.  It stirred up my curiosity quite a bit, so of course, I checked it out. It has several different ones to choose from. Mainly it takes you on a journey to help you find more ways to become happified. In order to do that, the negativity must be shoved out of the way so that everything positive can come in to your mindset. 

There are so many days that just friendly reminders is all that I need to get on track and not fall off. I have had some people ask me why is this so important to me. I can definitely speak to my needs and it may hit home for some of you reading this. I know that negative emotions affect my moods. It does so by closing my mind off which forces me to not be able to think outside of the box.

In everything that I have read there are the good old standbys on staying positive such as cheer up, smile more, always look on the bright side of life!  HA! If you have seen the play Spamalot, then you may even know that cliche as a song. Now it is in my head and probably will be for the rest of the day.


For me? I need more specific methods. In an article by Jeffrey Lau, as well as searching with Google, I found some that I will share with you and have worked for me. 

  • Savor each moment. It really is the little things. For example, my dear husband put up bird feeders outside my window where my study is. I adore taking a moment of time away from writing in order to watch the cardinals at the safflower seed bird feeder, as well as the soon arriving hummingbirds. Find something that lifts your spirits - a vase of fresh flowers on your desk?
  • Thank those who matter. Most definitely I thanked Steve for putting the feeder out in just the right spot as well as keeping the feeders full of seed and helping me with the sugar water. Also, we order quite a bit on line so daily I watch our postal worker deliver our mail out at the mailbox and then get out of his mail truck and walk up to the house with packages. One day I surprised him by giving him a little thank you card with a small gift card enclosed. Find others who need a thank you.
  • Remember your momma telling you to sit straight or walk tall. Your posture does matter in helping your thoughts stay on the positive side of life. Sit or walk with hunched shoulders and head down?Then I feel like I am portraying to the world hopelessness, even when that is the last thing on my mind. So I not only am bringing myself down, I feel as if anyone that I come in contact with would feel negative vibes.
  • I carry a lucky stone, coin or momento in my pocket and when I feel the need it is what I hold and touch which helps me turn my thoughts around. I suppose that this could be related to a toddler and their favorite blankie. It is a security release. Because I rarely have on something with pockets, I keep it in my wallet or out on my desk. I will let you in on one of my secrets. Sometimes, it helps when I have writer's block. Close my eyes, hold my momento or even just touch it and outline it with my fingertip. Whatever works.
  • My IPhone is on charge and silent at night. If I open it first thing, most of the time the local news clips pop up. Rarely is it positive news. Is this how I want my day to begin? No way. I have found a way to bypass that and move on to a much more positive start to my day. A positive mantra for focus and just a brief meditation to clear out the spider webs. I feel as if it empowers me to be in total control of my day. That is a bit of an overstatement. There will be things that I can't control, however, I will be able to control my responses. This is a time that I celebrate my small wins each day. Talk about a boost of confidence! There actually is a scientific reason for this. It is the way that the human brain is wired. Any accomplishment that we acknowledge is then activated which releases a chemical called dopamine that is associated to the feeling of pride and achievement. It is a motivation that continually makes loops within us mentally and in turn we then become more likely to be successful.
The Happify application takes you on journeys that keeps you on the happy side of life. It asks specific questions and guides you through specifics that may help you.

One last thing that I must share. The singer-songwriter, Pharrell Williams, had a hit song called, Happy. When this song comes on or if I chose it on my playlist, how can I not feel happy? It makes me want to get up and dance, not to mention sing along at the top of my lungs. 

 "Happiness is the truth!



No comments:

Post a Comment