Monday, June 25, 2018

Don't Sweat It!


Most of us have either read or are familiar with what the series of books that have Don't Sweat the Small Stuff by Richard Carlson promotes. It is positivity and something that we all need to keep in mind. 

For me, I have to say that I live by the motto above. I just modified the original concept a bit for myself. It is ALL small stuff and life is all about the small stuff. Now, believe me, I know plenty of people who like to turn the small stuff into major catastrophes. I am sure that you know some of these drama kings and queens too. Truly, most everything is small stuff. The question that I ask myself is just how major do I want this to become. Anyone can make a mountain out of a mole hill with knee-jerk reactions.


Definitely, I am not perfect...I am human. There are times that I can be exactly like the woman in the poster above. Not often, because I have learned that perfection is not the goal, life is not an emergency, nor is it fair all of the time. Thoughts are much more powerful. Mindsets need to be strong in order to weed out the small stuff that is trying to grow larger than life right in front of our very eyes. This is when my creative side comes out to help me deal with sweating the small stuff and turning it around to make me happy.

Instead of overreacting and blowing incidents way out of proportion, I find some alone and just me time to think of possible outcomes. We all get to choose what makes us happy. First of all, I had to learn to throw the thought that it was not selfish to focus on my own happiness. Just as you are, so am I, deserving of being happy. In fact, I find that slowing down and being in the right mindset gives me more compassion and I end up encouraging others which becomes a circle of happiness that is shared.

Sweating the small stuff that makes me even the tiniest bit happier is what it is all about. These things may be considered so non-important to others and that is okay. Everyone needs to find the small stuff that brings them happiness. Some examples that I can share with you for myself is to get a specific type/color of pen that I love to write with (and I write a lot). It may be having my husband situate bird feeders outside of my office so that I can watch the birds come and go. What about having fresh fruit and veggies from the Farmers' Market? There is nothing like that first homegrown tomato! These are some of the little things that make up my happy thoughts.

When something bad happens, and let's get real, it happens all the time. Or when I am thinking in a negative manner there are ways to respond that are more positive and will help take you to your happy place. It takes practice. Let's say that a large group is coming over and I drop part of dinner on the floor. I could lose total control thinking that everything is ruined. In reality, taking a deep breath, and just going with the flow is the best response. What do I want to do about it? Go out and get something to replace it or see if there is something in the pantry to use? Or decide if we really needed it to begin with. 


My husband taught me about a word that one must be careful when using. It is the conjunction, 'but.' He said that when using it anything you say before the word 'but' is bull$%&#. I am going to tell you that this word is a magical word. How? Just read this:
If I am thinking that I am so out of shape and need to lose weight badly. If I say this often enough to myself, I will get to a point of hopelessness. However, If I say or think that I am so out of shape but I am now working out and eating healthy...it puts a much more positive spin on my outlook. It takes me down the right path. 

Life is not always perfect. That is not the goal. We all have our sad moments, the question is how long do you want to remain there? If life gives you lemons, make some lemonade or even better when it is five o'clock somewhere...if life gives you limes, make some margaritas! Muy bien!




No comments:

Post a Comment