Sunday, April 3, 2022

DO YOU BELIEVE THAT YOU CAN AGE GRACEFULLY?

 DO YOU BELIEVE THAT YOU CAN AGE GRACEFULLY?

There is an age old question (no pun intended) about should we believe anti-aging or pro-aging? Of course, anti-aging simply shows 20-30 something year olds using creams and makeups that will make you look younger. (anti-aging) Well, duh! My skin could look like that if I were back in my 20's also. 

So let's be honest here. If you are like me then let's start exactly where we are. Whatever age you may be (and I will not be sharing mine, thank you) why not look at it on the positive side? Pro-aging. There is a way to do that. 

First of all look at this in a positive manner. Aging is better than the alternative. So, growing older is not an option unless you have a magical wand, so why not at least try to do it gracefully? And, let me add that there are many ways to do just that. I am only going to talk about some things that I have read about and try to work on for myself. There are so many other ways, many of which I am sure you could add to my list.

  • Let's start with the obvious. Smoking and too much alcohol is not good for anyone; older or younger

  • Be sure to see your doctor and dentist and even a therapist, if need be, on a regular basis. 

  • Along with seeing the doctor for physicals, it helps to know which foods are better for us than others. At least by my age, I have read and learned which are better choices. Some good ideas to consider is to limit red meat and meats that have nitrates in them such as hot dogs, bacon, deli meats. Notice that I said limit. Moderation is the key word. Avoiding too many processed foods and little tricks like buy plain yogurt and add your own fresh fruit. Sugary fruit juices that are high in sugar, as well as sodas and energy drinks should be avoided. Whole wheat breads and pastas are so much healthier. Butter is better than margarine. (I like that!) Too much salt and sugar along with caffeine will add wrinkles. Proven research backs this up for proof. Again, I like to live by moderation. Best to keep hydrated with water. 




  • Vitamins are important. It may be a good idea to discuss which ones and how much is best for you when the doctor does blood work. Vitamin D and C are very important. Better to get vitamins from the food we eat, so always be sure that you are eating foods with those vitamins in them. If not, then time for a supplement.


  • Doesn't have to be the can-can dance. A simple walk will do it.



  • Exercise, at almost any level that you are physically able to do is better than nothing. For example, I can no longer do yoga on the floor. There is a great book out that is all about chair yoga. Plus a few that a physical therapist recommended to me. I am working up to walking our furry friends, which is getting two items off my list with one activity. Furry friends need walking and so do I.

  • Turning that frown upside down will help tremendously. First of all, you use less muscles to smile than to frown and it can change not only your frame of mind but those around you as well. Add laughter to it and you have a win-win situation.





  • Organizing your life and decluttering help in your mind set. That, along with getting enough sleep are two ways to help everyone age gracefully. Dark circles under our eyes will not help. Just another subject to talk to your doctor about. And while we are on the topic, let's talk about make-up. It is true that less is better. That does not mean NO make-up. It may mean a trip to the make-up counter to find out how to apply make-up so that it seems to enhance your age. There is a way. I highly recommend monthly or every other month facials to help restore your skin. And never, ever forget your neck. That is one of the first places that age. The "M" word  -  MOISTURIZE. Yes, even for men.

  • Gratitude is the attitude that will take you where you want to be. Saying thank you, even to yourself as you do things for you is not a selfish thing. It is important to be kind to yourself. 

“And the beauty of a woman, with passing years only grows!” ― Audrey Hepburn


No comments:

Post a Comment