AGING GRACEFULLY TIPS
Do we really know what the word relax means and how good it is for us? If you look it up in the dictionary it is from the Latin word relaxare which then goes on to say "relax, loosen, open, stretch out, widen again, make loose...it is an activity. It actually is the practice of loosening the grips of stress and tension that we as humans accumulate throughout the day. It is essential and productive and never is a waste of time. So as we age, which we can not stop; we can lay back and enjoy it and know some tips on how to do so gracefully.
The following are just some guidelines that I found through researching what older people believed in helping them to age gracefully. DNA plays a big part but so do other things that we eat, drink and do.
First some good news: butter is better for you than margarine. So if you can switch back to butter you are helping your health. Of course, moderation in all is the key.
Overall, taking care of our skin is very important. Sunscreen, hats, facials, stop smoking if you still are, cut back on alcohol, invest in a humidifier and take oily supplements. Various oils are good for our bodies, inside and out. Enjoy a few glasses of wine now and then. Be careful how these things affect our skin. A good aesthetician can help in these matters. Staying out of tanning beds (which I was surprised they are still around) and using a good skin exfoliant are two simple tips we could all take care of. Specialty stores sell exfoliating mitts and sell exfoliants or you can make your own scrubs using coffee grounds and sugar. Don't forget keeping your neck in the picture.
The next tips are fairly self-explanatory:
- find a furry friend - Having a cat or a dog helps to keep us on our toes.
- take cold showers - I will be the first one to say that I just can't do this no matter how good it is for my skin. I have cut back on the hot water to more of a luke warm temperature - the best that I can do.
- stay hydrated... One can live for a while without food but we won't last a day without water. It is like a natural lubricant for our bodies, as it keeps our organs in working order. The rule of thumb is to try for 8 glasses a day. If you have a special water bottle, then it makes it easier to know how much you are drinking.
- dental hygiene... Nothing can age us faster than a mouthful of grey, yellowed or rotten teeth. Brushing twice a day and flossing along with visiting your dentist twice a year is the key.
- never stop smiling and laughing...This is one of the easiest ways to look and feel younger. Smile lines are the best lines to have because they mean that you are living a full and happy life.
- less is more when it comes to make-up...It takes time to use less to get that fresh, more youthful appearance. Always take off make-up before bed so that your skin can breathe.
- being grateful and appreciating the world around you and loving your partner with reckless abandonment can all make us feel happier - just as sitting up straighter, getting more sleep and exercising our writing muscles (even if it is a sentence or two in a journal about your day) This can help you become more organized in thoughts and daily practices.
Never underestimate a yearly physical or the power of a good therapist. Our physical and mental health are teammates.
That was not my intention. I think that we all knew most of these tricks in helping us to age gracefully. If you are like me then you may need a crash reminder course in some things now and then.
One of my favorite quotes is from Meryl Streep, "You have to embrace getting older." So, why not do it gracefully?