Friday, July 28, 2017

Motivation - What's Yours?

There have many times when I question myself on my own motivation. It can be motivation to exercise, to eat healthy, to clean out drawers/cupboards, or to write. Maybe a particular day comes along and I just don't feel like doing something on my "to do" list. 

I have choices to make. I can either go full speed ahead and give myself trade-offs, such as pick the task that seems the most difficult to become motivated to accomplish and then give myself a reward for doing it. Or I can choose to just skip it for the day.

There really is no right or wrong here. The world is not going to come to an end. It is all in my mind of how it will make me feel. It is something about going ahead and getting something done that I really don't feel like doing that helps to motivate me; along with a few little mind tricks.

Sometimes when I want to motivate myself into getting into my writing more, I go out and invest in some tools to help me make it happen. Nothing kickstarts me more to write with more passion and in a timely manner than a new set of pens (preferably different bright colors) or a ream or two of colored paper (again preferably bright colors). This probably sounds nerdy, but then again, I was the child going through school who loved the time when shopping for school supplies came. There is nothing like fresh new composition books and the smell of a new box of crayons that made this girl wanting the first day of the school year to begin.

Perhaps I want to motivate myself to move a little faster on my exercise plan. A new pair of sneakers or a new outfit will do the trick for me. It brings on the passion to get the job done, if nothing else, at least to get the job started. I know that the old trick of starting myself off with a time limit; say walk or write for 5 minutes works. I surprise myself in that once I get started, I want to extend my time period naturally. 

Always for myself, when the thought of quitting enters my brain, I try to think back to the reason that I started it all to begin with. For anything to happen, I have to make it happen by grabbing all of my gusto and letting it flow.


Once again, I NEED a positive mantra for myself to start my day. I know that for me, if I build on my previous successes then I know where I am going and why. Problems can only be resolved through trying, never by quitting and giving up.

So that I can now get busy and into my afternoon, I will end with one of my many favorite quotes by Nelson Mandela, "It always seems impossible until it's done." 



No comments:

Post a Comment