Sunday, July 16, 2023

SWEET FROM THE VINE

 SWEET FROM THE VINE


From his fields to his corner market at 1126 C Street in Cordova, Micah McDaniel has it going on. 


The Memphis area is blessed, in that we have many parts of our city and suburbs where we can stop off and pick up fresh fruits and veggies, along with other delicious homemade foods. 

One very special Farmer's Market happens to be close to my home. My husband and I discovered it a few years ago. Ever since that summer we have gone together to pick up the most delicious and fresh produce ever. And, yes, we have gone to other markets. This one is special. WHY? Because of the owner, Micah McDonald, and the rest of his wonderful family and friends that all work together to treat customers with such care and respect that they want to return to this local produce stand. Year after year we returned and each year, he remembered us.






This year was different for not just me, but for all. You see, I had to let Micah know that Steve was not with me because he had passed away last year in the late Fall. It was a bit shocking to him because the two of them talked a lot when we stopped in weekly. Add to the fact that not only was Steve the kind of person that he was, but he had such a strong British accent. It did bring tears to my eyes that Steve was no longer able to go over to the market with me and pick out things for our weekly meals.

Making it a part of the loving memories that Steve left for me is not always easy to do without becoming teary-eyed. Still a work in progress. He left so many happy and loving memories for me to cherish. 

Now that my daughter, Jenni, and Craig, along with Bailey and Skylar, my granddaughters, have moved in with me, we make one big happy family now. Sometimes we go together. In fact, my granddaughters were with their other grandparents from Mississippi yesterday and they took them to Sweet From the Vine for a BIG watermelon. The eldest granddaughter wanted one of the special Sweet From the Vine t-shirts and so she picked one out for herself.



To say they are now huge fans of this special Farmer's Market is an understatement. Another plus, for those of us who find it a little hard to tote the goodies purchased, along with the big watermelon, is that Micah or someone else who is there with him carries it out to the car for their customers. Such service! Impressive!

What more can I say, except that I think if you find yourself in the general area, you should stop in and discover this gem for yourself. Micah is on Facebook if you search Sweet From the Vine and he has pictures of the new produce or baked goods. We picked up the 'fairy eggplants' when they were in season. I even have some friends who live much closer to other farmer markets, but they find themselves coming to this one due to the hospitality and freshness of the produce. 

I will leave you with pictures of just some of the beautiful produce that you can find at Sweet From the Vine.


























As you can see, there is no shortage of delicious fresh produce. It is such a wonderful and colorful display of all that is good for you. If you noticed, I did enlarge the picture of the Amish hand-held pies. It doesn't hurt to have a little splurge now and then if you are eating this healthy with all of these fruits and vegetables. I did not even show the jars of freshly canned pickles, chow-chow, okra and preserves. It is something to stop in and take a walk around. 

Please be sure to tell Micah that you saw this blog when you do. Or send him a comment on his Facebook page. He has many of these pictures and more, along with the days and times that he is open. (Thursday - Saturday 9 - 6 - Saturday it is until he is sold out so get there early!)

A very dear friend made this Farmers Market bag for me and personalized it with a picture of our two doodles in the truck, Maggie Mae and Davis. It always goes with me weekly to the Market  -  hope to see you there!





2 comments:

  1. It is so wonderful that you continue to go to this great market even though it brought back some sad memories in the beginning. Grands keep us going in hard times!

    ReplyDelete