Wednesday, July 27, 2016

Ways to Help Make Your Environment Creative and Inspirational

There are many ways that we can make our environment a more creative and inspirational place to work.  First of all, I am speaking as a writer and artist from my own home, where I am in control of everything that surrounds me.  This is much easier to do than if you were in a company's office environment.  It is something that I have been working on for a while and will continue to revise things that I feel are not conducive to my creativity.  

The starting place is with your mindset.  There needs to be an openness and acceptance so that creativity can flow freely.  Always be appreciative of your daily gratitudes, which means writing them down and expressing them daily.  Mindset is the key to the creative process.  Flexibility and persistence are key factors to success before you even begin to work on the physical environment surrounding you.  They help in your workflow.  

Know when it is time to continue to roll with the flow, when an idea is coming on strong from your brain to your fingertips.  You have no set time.  Your biological clock will set your working hours. Each person is different.  For some people it is not even the same day to day.  Find your own routine that works for you.  Then if you are flowing freely with your creativity, you can keep going, just the same as you need to do when you are having a mind block. Use distractions to help you move on in your work instead of forcing it. Take a walk, watch a movie, read a book, meditate, etc. Once your mind is away from your work block, it will let you know when the time is right to return.  

Have a comfortable spot for your work environment.  Comfort for me could be quite different from other writers or artists.  At the start of my day and when I am finishing up, I like a clutter free environment.  A comfortable desk and chair, plus a soft, cushy sofa to sink into so that I can read, edit or perhaps just close my eyes for a moment.  Music, not TV, is a major player in my creative environment.  The genre depends on what is going on with my writing, editing or painting.  Soft jazz and easy listening, along with classical music works best for me.  It is good to try different music so that you are aware how it affects your work.  If you work better in the sounds of silence, then that is what works for you.  

For myself, it is important that I dress comfortably.  There is a difference in dressing comfortably and just throwing on a sloppy sweatshirt and sweatpants.  Dressing well has always been a big part of my working life.  It boosts my self confidence of who I am. Nothing stiff and formal is required, just a happy medium.  Because you are at home, you have control over the temperature that you are working with and your clothes may reflect how you dress based on how warm or cool you like to keep your home.  

Pick a day or two that you work from another location for a while. Coffee shops are filled with writers and their laptops.  It is also a good place for networking.  It can optimize your creativity and inspiration just by the very fact that you are with others who have taken that step out of a day to day work environment.  Many times this requires one to leave their comfort zone.  It is very important to not become a recluse.  Make lunch dates or brunch dates or just meet for a cup of coffee with friends.  

Above all, keep flexibility in mind.  You do need to understand your rhythms function and do what works best for you.  Listen to your head and your body.  If you need to be alone and in quiet solitude for a day here and there, then that is for you.  Mix it up some and find what happens to your creative side when your environment changes.  According to Peter F. Drucker, "If you want something new, you have to stop doing something old."    

No comments:

Post a Comment