Friday, September 2, 2016

Pay It Forward For YOU




Paying it forward is a win-win situation.  You can make someone's day very special when they least expect it, plus it makes you feel good to be able to do something for someone without expecting anything in return.  This is a good thing, right?  We all need to try to do a 'Pay It Forward' act in some way to somebody every day.  It can be as simple as a little note in your child's or even spouse's lunch box. Of course, it could be more elaborate such as taking care of someone's meal at a restaurant or groceries at the store.  It does not always need to cost money.  Giving of your time or heart is a way to pay it forward that many people seem to forget in our busy lives.

Today's blog is a way to 'Pay It Forward' that at first might sound a bit selfish.  It is a way to take care of yourself so that you will be around to help others and feel your best while you are doing it. Taking care of your body because it is the only place you have to live in is so very true. 

Sometimes it takes a jolt in us when we get older to get the true meaning of this.  We must continue to work on a healthy lifestyle for ourselves, as well as those we love.  My husband is the one who taught me this, not through his words but his actions.  He did it for himself so that he would be here for me and his children for a much longer time.  Truly, he is my role model and it does help to have one.  If you don't, then why not start out by doing it for yourself and perhaps you will be someone else's role model.  A way of 'Paying It Forward' for others, as well as yourself. 

You always have to believe in yourself.  Do what is right for you. One of my favorite ways to exercise and not even realize that I am doing so, is to turn on Netflix and walk on the treadmill.  However, I had to change my  whole way of thinking due to a weak ankle and the steadiness and routine walk that happens on the treadmill.  I must admit that I am a fair weather walker, so it can't be too hot or humid, nor cold and windy for me to venture outside for a walk. Quite a few days/weeks/months get ruled out simply by that fact. New plan:  while writing at the desk which is my job, take a ten minute walking break every hour around the house, simply to move.  It works!  Also, keep watching Netflix, only move over to the recumbent bike.  Where there is a will, there is a way.

Getting enough sleep is more important than you realize unless you have researched some of the newer studies.  It takes getting yourself into a routine in order for you to get 8 - 9 hours of sleep. Those little wrist bands such as FitBit are wonderful in letting you know how much sleep that you actually received.  Just because you were in bed for 8 hours does not necessarily mean that you slept for 8 hours.  This little computer chip can show you the bar graph of your steady sleep and your not so steady sleep, thus breaking it down for you.  It is a case of mastering our sleep. (I wish I had words of encouragement for those insomniacs.)  

How many times have I asked myself where the time has gone when things did not get accomplished in my day that I had put on my TO DO list?  I now have come to the conclusion that it is okay to have a TO DO list, just prioritize it so that even if everything did not get done, the top three or top five that were high in priority did get accomplished and then stop beating myself up over why everything did not get done. Be kind! 

Positive talk is very important, not just for others, but for yourself to talk to that little part in your mind that wants to pull you down. Be your own positive advocate.  Clap, cheer, kiss your brain! Staying present in the now moment helps you keep your brain from wandering in the wrong negative directions.  The past does not equal the future.  No one can undo the past.  No one can predict the future.  What we can do is to live in the present with a plan and a goal for the future.  If it needs revised now and then, step in and do so.  Nothing needs to be written in stone.

Simple things that you can do for yourself to fill your heart and soul with happiness are important. Something that my husband helped me take care of was to get hummingbird feeders set up outside the large window where I work on my writing.  We also set up a feeder with special seed that brings in cardinals and other colorful birds.  The regular bird feeder worked immediately.  The second day we had cardinals and now even have the baby cardinals coming in.  The hummingbird feeders were not working at bringing in a single hummingbird. I was about ready to just give up when all of a sudden we have visitors now and as nerdy as it sounds...I LOVE IT.  I am not sure what this is a sign of, all I know is that it makes me happy.  Just as taking a moment to make myself some southern iced tea each afternoon.  

Promoting your health in all aspects, heart, soul and mind, takes a 'Paying It Forward' attitude for you in order to be who you want to be, as well as reducing medical costs in the future.  You then have the energy and stamina to pay it forward for others.  You may find yourself becoming more grateful for everyday of kindness that you naturally extend to others, simply by helping yourself to become a healthier you.  



No comments:

Post a Comment