Monday, February 20, 2017

We Have the Power


There are times that I must remind myself that yes, indeed, I have the power to choose whether I wish to be happy or not.  Thank goodness, it is not often that I must consider my options.  Usually it is because of something that is out of my control.  A perfect example is my state of health just recently.  There are times that I just must pull myself up by my bootstraps, stop wasting time complaining and have a good talking to myself.  

It is such a good thing that I have a very supportive partner who knows, most of the time, before I do when I am headed into one of those moods.  Just the other night, he walked in and said to me that he was going to give me a stern talking to and that I needed to listen for my own good.  As it happened, at that very moment I was writing out a special card to him, apologizing for showing my Negative Nellie side of me.  I know that I don't like me when I am feeling that way, so why should I expect anyone else to like me. WOW!  Never will I ever take it for granted that he not only still likes me, he even still loves me! Then, as if that isn't enough, I have children who love to push my buttons just so they are able to get a rise out of me.  It is their way of expressing how important it is to laugh at yourself.  So you see?  There is really no way of becoming a chronically unhappy person around my house.  This is a very good thing and something that I am thankful for and proud. 

It does not matter if one considers happiness to be a state of mind or an activity, either way, happiness needs a level of commitment within your head, heart and soul.  As The Dalai Lama states, "Happiness is not something ready-made.  It comes from your own actions."  For me, and I am fairly sure for most others, it is what you have whirling around inside your head.  I can't blame circumstances on when I am feeling down.  There is an option.  It is a choice no matter when good or awful things are happening and going on around me, I still have a choice of how I will respond.  

This means that I must kick out the negativity.  For me it is a very positive thing that I am a breast cancer survivor.  What is unfortunate is what some of the medication created in my body after all was said and done.  Does it get rid of the joint pain through complaining and being unhappy?  Of course not!  So what is one to do?  It is in the mindset of looking at this scenario in a more positive way.  Happiness is when what you think, say and do work in harmony.  Having and practicing wishful thinking, then putting forth an effort to move on from this situation is what will help.  The oh woe is me trick gets old and although I do not use that phrase often, I am so lucky to have a partner who helps me to mend my thoughts and stretch my mind.  There are so many positive things going on all around me. Even in my astrology reading today said to play to my strengths by remembering who I am and what I have been through.  This will keep me on the right path. 

I have the power to see my doctor and follow his medical advice on how to handle the way my body feels at times.  I have to be good to myself and project outwards what I want to be projecting within me.  It is okay to take it easy for right now.  I don't have to wear a red cape and be Supergirl in order to be happy.  It is a matter of being true to myself that will keep me from falling. Complaining is a certain way to go downhill fast.  I prefer to be going up, rather than going down, thank you very much.  

Definitely, I am just saying that we all must not let one or two complaints be the only focus within our lives.  Life is too short to be taken so seriously. One can't just dream and wish for their happiness.  There is some work that has to be done in order to achieve it.  

Knowing that I have mentioned it before, I am the eternal 'list maker.'  So actually, on my list there are a couple of things that as of today, have the ability to make me unhappy.  Bear in mind that I am talking about me, personally.  I am not getting into politics, world peace, global warming, religion, or other such things.  The list of things that make me happy take up more than two pages.  I refuse to blame others because I know that I have the option to be happy within me. I have the power and so do you.  

No comments:

Post a Comment