Wednesday, June 22, 2016

A Reason for Champagne

First of all, I must ask, do I really need a reason to pop open a bottle of champagne?  Yesterday, as I was leaving the Cancer Clinic after going through all of the post op tests and meeting with my Doctor to hear the words, "No more cancer.  See you in 6 months!"  I said to my husband as he was walking me to our car, "Let's go home and pop open a bottle of champagne."

We laughed, as he had to hold my hand  to keep my feet on the ground...I was walking on air.  Of course, I knew it really was not the wisest thing to go home at 2:30 in the afternoon to open a bottle of champagne.  With dinner would be fine and my wonderful husband came up with his own special recipe of Shrimp Linguine with Broccoli and Mushrooms. On our way home, we went through the drive-thru at Starbucks and picked up some fat-free coffee frappuccinos. Living on the wild side, I'd say!

There have been other reasons that I have found to pop open and celebrate with a bottle of champagne.  This is actually a topic that can be researched.  I used Fasherzine and le champagne diaries to share on my blog:


  • Because it is Monday or Friday or Saturday or any other time ending in 'day'
  • If you just bought an elegant new outfit  
  • When you feel like celebrating
  • If you agree with Napoleon who said that he drinks champagne when he wins just to celebrate and then he drinks champagne when he loses just to console himself
  • It is healthy.  It only has 90 calories and is full of anti-oxidants
  • To mark special celebrations as the royal courts of Europe did, even prior to 1789
  • It saves water
  • It is in the fridge
  • Everyone needs to feel like Dom Perignon who told all of the other monks that it was like drinking the stars
Or perhaps you agree with Lily Bollinger (producer of Bollinger Champagnes) who said that she only drinks when she is happy or sad.  Sometimes she drinks it when she is alone and sometimes when she has company she considers it obligatory.  She trifles with it if she is in no hurry and she drinks it when she is and she never touches the stuff unless she is thirsty.

In other words, champagne can be for a major celebration, a family get together or just because.  I believe that a bottle should be popped open anytime someone is told that they are cancer free, for the sound of the pop alone, if not to sip some of Dom Perignon's stars.

Cole Porter wrote that he gets no kick from champagne, however, I think he is in the minority.  

No comments:

Post a Comment